- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Turkish Stuffed Eggplant Imam Bayildi Recipe
|Eggplant||1 Medium, halved lengthwise|
|Yellow onion||1 Large, peeled|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Tomatoes||3 Medium, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped|
Calories 318 Calories from Fat 242
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g42.1%
Saturated Fat 3.8 g18.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 980.8 mg40.9%
Total Carbohydrates 19 g6.3%
Dietary Fiber 6 g24.2%
Sugars 4.5 g
Protein 2 g5%
Vitamin A 15.8% Vitamin C 24%
Calcium 2.2% Iron 3.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Use a sharp tipped knife to score a criss-cross pattern on the cut side of eggplant halves
2. Rub salt on each and keep aside for 1 hour.
3. Squeeze out water then rinse eggplants under tap water.
4. Place between paper towel sheets and pat dry.
5. Use a dessert spoon and scoop flesh to make eggplant boats. Reserve the flesh
6. Brush them with oil.
7. Cut flesh into in ½-inch cubes.
8. Preheat oven to 350° F.
9. In a skillet, heat ¼ cup oil.
10. Add and sauté onion and garlic for about 10 minutes until browned,
11. Remove and drain on paper toweling. Keep aside.
12. Add tomatoes and sauté for 5 minutes and remove into a bowl.
13. Heat more oil and fry diced eggplant. Tip into a bowl.
14. Combine eggplant with fried onions, garlic and tomatoes.
15. Season with pepper and salt.
16. Add a little sugar if you like.
17. Spoon this filling into the prepared eggplant shells.
18. Arrange the eggplants in a lightly greased shallow casserole.
19. Bake for 45-50 minutes until tender.
20. Serve the eggplants warm
Cut a slice off the bottoms of the egg plant shells to help the sit well in the baking dish without toppling over.