- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Turkey With Fruited Nut and Rice Stuffing Recipe
|Turkey||12 Pound (To Serve 8, 5.5 Kilogram)|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), softened|
|Onions||2 , chopped|
|Celery stalks||2 , chopped|
|Dried thyme||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Wild rice||1 Cup (16 tbs), rinsed|
|Chicken stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Parboiled rice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Chopped dried apricots||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Chopped toasted almonds||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 1330 Calories from Fat 561
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 62 g95.8%
Saturated Fat 18.4 g92%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 505.4 mg
Sodium 552.1 mg23%
Total Carbohydrates 40 g13.3%
Dietary Fiber 4.5 g18.1%
Sugars 10.3 g
Protein 147 g293.2%
Vitamin A 17.7% Vitamin C 7.6%
Calcium 16.7% Iron 61.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to the desired temperature.
2) To prepare the fruited nut and rice stuffing: In Dutch oven, stir butter until melted at moderate heat.
3) Now cook the onions, celery, thyme and bay leaf, stirring at times, for 5 minutes or until tender.
4) Add wild rice and stock to the mixture,mix thoroughly and allow to boil.
5) Reduce to a simmer,cover with lid and cook for about 20 minutes.
6) Now add parboiled rice,cook, covered with lid, for 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid evaporates.
7) Remove the bay leaf.
8) Add apricots, almonds, parsley, salt and pepper to the above mixture and stir well.
9) Allow to cool completely. (Stuffing can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 2 weeks; thaw in refrigerator for 48 hours.)
10) Reserve the removed giblets and neck of turkey for Giblet Stock.
11)Wash the turkey inside and out and dry the skin and cavity well.
12) Stuff the neck opening and body cavity of the turkey with Fruited Nut and Rice Stuffing with skewer closed.
13) Place the stuffed turkey on the rack in roasting pan.
14) Now rub with softened butter and thyme.
Add required salt and pepper to taste.
15) Wrap it properly with foil and roast in 325°F (160°C) oven for 3 hours, basting, if desired.
16) Remove foil and roast, basting if desired, for 1 hour longer or until golden brown or until the meat thermometer inserted in thigh reads 185°F (85°C) and in stuffing 165°F (75°C).
17) Allow to stand on platter, lightly covered with lid, for 20 minutes before carving to desired pieces.