- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Red Beans and Rice with Smoked Turkey Wings Recipe Video
|Low sodium chicken stock/Water||3 Quart|
|Turkey wings||1 , smoke|
|Red beans||1 Pound, rinsed|
|Onion||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), chop|
|Celery||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), chop|
|Bell pepper||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), chop|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), mince|
|Fresh thyme||1 Tablespoon, chop|
|All purpose seasoning||3 Tablespoon (Grand Diamond)|
|Cooked rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 430 Calories from Fat 54
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.4%
Saturated Fat 1.7 g8.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 9.9 mg
Sodium 167.2 mg7%
Total Carbohydrates 68 g22.6%
Dietary Fiber 13.2 g52.8%
Sugars 3.1 g
Protein 31 g62.5%
Vitamin A 7.5% Vitamin C 26.4%
Calcium 17.8% Iron 54.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will NeedStock pot
1. In a large stock pot pour water or low sodium chicken stock and add the turkey wings and over medium heat cover the pot and let the smoked turkey simmer for 1 hour.
2. In the meantime discard any pebbles or unwanted object from the beans, rinse under running water.
3. Chop the onions, celery, bell pepper; thyme and mince the garlic add this to the stock pot along with the red beans.
4. Add the all-purpose seasoning and stir, let it simmer for 2 ½ hours, cover with the lid.
5. Occasionally stir the beans every half hour or so during the cooking process.
6. Serve the beans over a cup of cooked rice or with cornbread.