- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Turkey Sausage with White Beans, Tomatoes, and Sage Recipe
|Dried great northern beans||1 Cup (16 tbs), soaked|
|Great northern beans/2 cups canned, drained and rinsed great northern bean||1 Cup (16 tbs), dried ones picked over, rinsed, and soaked for 8 hours|
|Great northern beans||2 Cup (32 tbs), canned|
|Olive oil||1 1⁄3 Tablespoon (1 Tablespoon Plus 1 Teaspoon)|
|Turkey sausages||1 Pound, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (Sweet / Hot)|
|Spanish onion||1 Medium, peeled and diced|
|Turkey sausage/Hot turkey sausage||1 Pound, cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|Spanish onion||1 Medium, peeled|
|Garlic||5 Clove (25 gm), peeled and finely chopped|
|Garlic||5 Clove (25 gm)|
|White wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Canned whole tomatoes||28 Ounce, roughly chopped (1 Can)|
|Fresh sage||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Whole tomatoes||28 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Sage||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Rigatoni||1 Pound, cooked and drained|
|Rigatoni||1 Pound, cooked, drained|
Calories 1192 Calories from Fat 156
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26.6%
Saturated Fat 3.5 g17.3%
Trans Fat 0.4 g
Cholesterol 85 mg
Sodium 814.4 mg33.9%
Total Carbohydrates 185 g61.7%
Dietary Fiber 36 g144%
Sugars 14.9 g
Protein 68 g136.6%
Vitamin A 37.3% Vitamin C 69.2%
Calcium 34.2% Iron 68.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a medium-sized pot cover the dried beans, with water and bring the water to a boil.
2. Lowering the heat, simmer the beans until they are tender, for approximately 45 minutes, then drain and set them aside.
3. In a dutch oven over high heat heat the 1 tablespoon of olive oil, sear the sausage pieces on all sides until they are golden, then remove and set them aside.
4. Lowering the heat to medium, add the 1 teaspoon of olive oil and saute the onion in it, stirring it often, until it is soft.
5. Then add garlic and saute it, stirring it constantly, until it is fragrant.
6. Raising the heat add the wine, simmering it until it has evaporated.
7. Then add the tomatoes and the reserved cooked sausage and bring the mixture to a boil.
8. Lowering the heat, simmer the sauce, stirring it occasionally, for 20 minutes.
9. Add the sage and cooked beans, simmer the sauce for 5 minutes and season the sauce with salt and pepper.
10. Spread the sauce over the pasta and serve.