- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Turkey Loaf With Onion Sauce Recipe
|Lean minced turkey||1 Pound (450 Grams)|
|Celery||2 Ounce, finely chopped (50 Grams)|
|Onion||1 , finely chopped|
|Cold water||2 Tablespoon|
|Wholemeal breadcrumbs||3 Ounce (75 Grams)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Fresh thyme||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Fresh parsley||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|For onion sauce|
|Skimmed milk||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Cornflour||1⁄2 Ounce (15 Grams)|
|Fresh parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1262 Calories from Fat 399
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 44 g68.5%
Saturated Fat 11.3 g56.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 579.2 mg193.1%
Sodium 1362.8 mg56.8%
Total Carbohydrates 116 g38.5%
Dietary Fiber 18.6 g74.5%
Sugars 34.9 g
Protein 116 g232%
Vitamin A 116.1% Vitamin C 243.3%
Calcium 64.5% Iron 60.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Take a 900 ml (1 1/2 pint) non-stick loaf tin and line it with greaseproof paper.
2) Preheat the oven.
3) In a large frying pan, fry the turkey dry with the celery, onion and water for 5 minutes.
4) Remove the pan from the heat and drain off any excess liquid.
5) In a large basin, combine the breadcrumbs, egg, herbs and seasoning, and mix thoroughly.
6) Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin, level the surface and cover tightly with kitchen foil or greaseproof paper secured with string.
7) In a roasting tin, stand the loaf tin and pour in hot water to a depth of 2.5 cm (1 inch).
8) In the preheated oven, bake the loaf for 1 1/2 hours.
9) In a saucepan, make the sauce by placing 250 ml (8 fl oz) of the milk with the onion and bay leaf.
10) Boil the milk, cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
11) Remove the bay leaf and allow to cool slightly before blending for a few seconds in a blender or food processor, until smooth.
(For onion slices to remin in the sauce, do not blend it).
12) In the saucepan, transfer the pureed onion mixture again.
13) Blend the cornflour with the remaining milk and add to the sauce.
14) Boil the sauce, stirring constantly, until it thickens.
15) Simmer the sauce for 4-5 minutes to cook the cornflour thoroughly.
16) Season the sauce with salt and black pepper to taste and add the parsley.
17) On a warmed plate, turn out the meatloaf and remove the greaseproof paper.
18) Slice the loaf and serve with the onion sauce.
Accompany with potatoes mashed with skimmed milk (but no butter or spread) and vegetables.