- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Turkey Curry with Pureed Yams Recipe
|Boneless dark turkey meat||1 1⁄4 Pound, skinned and cut into 1-inch cubes|
|Unsalted butter||3 Tablespoon|
|Yams||2 Small, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes|
|Onions||2 Medium, finely chopped|
|Stalk celery||1 , finely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Grated ginger/1/4 teaspoon ground ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Thyme/1/8 teaspoon dried thyme leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Curry powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||5 Tablespoon|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Turkey stock/Chicken stock||3 Cup (48 tbs), unsalted|
|Golden raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Green peas||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 369 Calories from Fat 66
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g11.7%
Saturated Fat 4.1 g20.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 74.5 mg
Sodium 406.9 mg17%
Total Carbohydrates 51 g17.1%
Dietary Fiber 7.5 g30%
Sugars 21.4 g
Protein 30 g59.3%
Vitamin A 10.9% Vitamin C 53.2%
Calcium 8% Iron 19.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In an medium size saucepan,
2. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add the turkey to the boiling water and blanch for 1 minute and drain.
1. Place a large, heavy-bottomed skillet, over medium heat and melt half of the butter.
2. When the butter starts frothing, add diced yams and cook them for 25 minutes, sautéing frequently, until they are tender and lightly browned.
3. Transfer the cooked yams to a food processor or blender and puree the yams to a smooth consistency sauce. Empty into a bowl and keep aside
4. In the same skillet, over medium-low heat, melt the remaining 4 1/2 teaspoons butter.
5. Add the onions, celery, garlic, ginger and thyme and sauté for 15 minutes, until the onions are soft and begin to brown.
6. Add the blanched diced turkey, curry powder, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix to combine well.
7. Pour in the stock, stir and cover the pan. Reduce the heat and simmer the curry for 45 minutes.
8. Add the raisins and the yam puree, stir to blend in.
9. Cover and cook for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, till the turkey is tender.
10. Add the peas to the curry and cook for 5 minutes more.
11. Ladle the curry over a bed of steamed rice or serve in soup plates accompanied by bread.
12. Garnish with curry with ginger juliennes.