- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Turkey and Black Bean Salad Recipe
|Cooked turkey breast meat||1 1⁄2 Pound, cut into thin strips (3 1/2 Cups)|
|Dried black beans||1 2⁄3 Cup (26.67 tbs), soaked for 8 hours and drained|
|Onion||1 Medium, coarsely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), chopped|
|Cinnamon stick||3 Inch, broken in half|
|Fresh thyme leaves/1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried red chili pepper/1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper||1 Small, seeds removed|
|Snow peas||1⁄2 Pound, with strings removed, sliced into thin strips|
|Cantaloupe||1 Small, halved, seeded, and the flesh cut into small chunks|
|Scallions||6 , trimmed and finely sliced|
|Tomatoes||3 Medium, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped, placed in a strainer to drain|
|Green pepper||1 Small, seeded, deribbed and chopped|
|Red leaf lettuce head/Bibb lettuce head||1|
|Red wine vinegar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Lemon juice/Lime juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Dijon mustard||2 Tablespoon|
|Hot red pepper sauce||15 Drop|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Chopped cilantro||5 Tablespoon|
|Safflower oil||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Virgin olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 942 Calories from Fat 227
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 25 g39.2%
Saturated Fat 2.8 g13.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 468.3 mg19.5%
Total Carbohydrates 113 g37.6%
Dietary Fiber 24.4 g97.6%
Sugars 33.2 g
Protein 72 g144.9%
Vitamin A 434.8% Vitamin C 267.6%
Calcium 31.7% Iron 62%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Use a large 4-quart casserole or stock pot.
2. Drain the soaked beans and combine them with the onion, garlic, cinnamon, thyme, chili pepper, bay leaf and salt in the casserole.
3. Place on stove, over high flame.
4. Pour water to cover the beans and boil for 10 minutes. Skim off the scum.
5. Reduce the heat, and cover the pot. Simmer for 1-1 ½ hours until the beans are soft.
6. Using a large colander, drain the beans and refresh with cold water.
7. Discard the whole spices and allow the beans to drain. The beans can be prepared in advance and stored in the refrigerator after they are cooled.
8. Blanch the snow peas in boiling water for 15 seconds and refresh them in cold water. Drain and place on paper towels to dry.
9. In a food processor or blender combine all the dressing ingredients, except the oils and pulse for 15 seconds.
10. Gradually incorporate the oil while processing to get a smooth consistency emulsion.
11. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cantaloupe, scallions, tomatoes, green pepper and turkey, blanched snow peas and cooked beans.
12. Pour 1 cup of the prepared dressing over the salad and toss lightly using 2 salad spoons.
13. Chill if desired.
14. Arrange lettuce leave on individual salad plate or on a platter. Heap the tossed salad on the bed of lettuce.
15. Drizzle the dressing over the salad or pass at the table.