- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Tuna Stuffed Artichokes Recipe
|Mushrooms||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), chopped|
|Yellow squash/Zucchini||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped green onions||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Canned tuna||12 1⁄2 Ounce, drained, flaked (1 Can)|
|Shredded low fat cheddar cheese/Mozzarella / monterey jack cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Seasoned bread crumbs||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pimento||2 Tablespoon, drained|
Calories 394 Calories from Fat 148
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g25.8%
Saturated Fat 3.3 g16.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 19.8 mg
Sodium 629.4 mg26.2%
Total Carbohydrates 26 g8.6%
Dietary Fiber 11.6 g46.6%
Sugars 5.2 g
Protein 39 g77.5%
Vitamin A 63.9% Vitamin C 95.4%
Calcium 20.5% Iron 28%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Using a kitchen shear trim out the sharp points from artichoke leaves.
2. Trim stems and take out the loose outer leaves.
3. Cut an inch from the tops and brush cut edges using lemon juice.
4. Into a large covered saucepan or Dutch oven let artichokes and salted water boil.
5. Thereafter reduce heat and let it simmer until a leaf pulls out easily, 20 to 30 minutes.
6. Drain the artichokes upside down.
7. Let the oven preheat to 450°F.
8. When it is cool enough to handle, cut artichokes lengthwise into halves.
9. Discard the fuzzy chokes and hearts.
10. Finely chop hearts and discard the chokes.
11. In a medium skillet sauté mushrooms, artichoke hearts, squash, onions and garlic in oil for 3 minutes, stirring frequently and stir in tuna.
12. In a lightly oiled baking dish arrange artichoke halves, cut side up.
13. At the center of artichokes mound the tuna mixture.
14. In a small bowl mix together cheese, bread crumbs and pimento and sprinkle over filling.
15. Let it bake for 5 to 8 minutes, or until cheese is melted and topping is golden.