- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Tuna Medley Pilaf Recipe
|Canned tuna||14 Ounce, drained (2 Cans, 7 Ounce Each)|
|Frozen mixed vegetables||10 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Long grain rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Water||1 2⁄3 Cup (26.67 tbs)|
|Light soy sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 505 Calories from Fat 146
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g25.1%
Saturated Fat 2.7 g13.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 17.9 mg
Sodium 1481 mg61.7%
Total Carbohydrates 52 g17.3%
Dietary Fiber 3.7 g14.8%
Sugars 2.2 g
Protein 36 g71.8%
Vitamin A 73.5% Vitamin C 18.6%
Calcium 4.7% Iron 14.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Wash and drain rice.
2. Drain the tuna and flake, removing bones and skin if any.
3. Combine the tuna and the vegetables and set aside.
4. In a casserole or Dutch oven, heat the oil.
5. Add onion and sautÃ© until soft and limp, about 5 minutes.
6. Add the drained rice and sautÃ© with the onion until well coated with the oil and lightly browned.
7. Tip in the tuna and vegetable mixture and stir in the soy sauce.
8. Pour in water.
9. Bring to a boil, stirring to prevent the rice from sticking to the pan.
10. Cover the casserole and reduce the heat.
11. Let rice and vegetables simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until cooked and water has been absorbed.
12. Check rice for doneness by pressing grain between thumb and forefinger. It should be tender till the core.
13. If a rice is cooked but mixture is watery, simmer uncovered during last 5 minutes of cooking.
14. Use two large forks to fluff the rice and mix with tuna and vegetables.
15. Heap onto a platter and serve hot.