- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Tuna Saltine Loaf With Cucumber Sauce Recipe
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Saltine crackers||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely crushed|
|Canned tuna||6 Ounce, drained and flaked (1 Can)|
|Celery||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), chopped|
|Onion||1⁄8 Cup (2 tbs), grated|
|Salt||4 Teaspoon (1 Teaspoon Plus 1 Tablespoon)|
|Cucumbers||3 Medium, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon peel||1 , grated|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Egg yolks||1 Teaspoon|
|Dill/Parsley||1 Tablespoon, chopped (As Needed)|
Calories 147 Calories from Fat 58
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.1%
Saturated Fat 2.7 g13.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 47.1 mg
Sodium 748.5 mg31.2%
Total Carbohydrates 14 g4.8%
Dietary Fiber 0.48 g1.9%
Sugars 1.9 g
Protein 8 g15.2%
Vitamin A 6.2% Vitamin C 5%
Calcium 4.3% Iron 8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to 350°F.
2) Grease two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans.
3) In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs.
4) Stream in the milk and crackers and allow to stand for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5) Mix in tuna, celery, onion, and 1 teaspoon salt.
6) Transfer the tuna mixture equally into pans.
7) Bake for 1 hour until knife inserted in center comes out almost clean.
8) In a saucepan, cook the cucumbers in 3 cups of water for 5 minutes until tender-crisp.
9) Pour off the cooking liquid and, reserve.
10) Pour in enough water to liquid to make 5 1/4 cups.
11) In a Dutch oven, heat butter and stir in flour over medium heat.
12) Slowly stir in the reserved liquid and cook, stirring constantly until mixture is thickened.
13) Mix in 1 tablespoon salt, lemon peel, juice, and cucumber, cook, stirring, until just boiling.
14) In a small bowl, lightly beat egg yolks with a fork.
15) Whisk in small amount of hot cucumber mixture.
16) Stream the egg mixture slowly back into sauce, stirring rapidly to prevent lumping.
17) Simmer gently and stir until thickened, but do not boil.
18) Place the loaf pans over cooling racks for 15 minutes.
19) Using spatula, loosen the edges of loaves and invert onto warm platters.
20) Slice each loaf into 8 slices.
21) Top with 1/3 cup sauce over each serving.
22) Sprinkle with dill or parsley and serve hot.