- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Tricolor South Indian Breakfast Recipe
|Rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Udad||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fenugreek seeds||2 Teaspoon|
|Carrot||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Spinach||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Oil||5 Teaspoon (For greasing)|
Calories 163 Calories from Fat 3
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.32 g0.49%
Saturated Fat 0.08 g0.41%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 46.7 mg1.9%
Total Carbohydrates 36 g11.9%
Dietary Fiber 2.1 g8.4%
Sugars 0.2 g
Protein 4 g8.4%
Vitamin A 12.2% Vitamin C 0.74%
Calcium 5.2% Iron 4.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will NeedMini Idli Plate
Idli Cooker / Steamer
Dosa tava / Frying pan
• Grind it to a thick idli/dosa batter consistency.
• Allow the batter to ferment overnight.
• Puree carrots and spinach separately.
• Divide the batter into 3 parts.
• Add carrot puree to one and spinach puree to the other. Let the third part remain white.
• Season each batter with salt and you are ready.
Preparing Mini Idli Skewers
• Grease a mini idli plate and pour 1 teaspoon of each of the batters in the separate slots.
• Steam for 10 minutes in a steamer or idli cooker.
• Once done, cool the plate and remove the idlis using a flat spoon.
• To serve insert 3 idlis into each kebab skewers or toothpicks (follow the orange – white - green order)
• Serve with sambhar
Preparing Topi Dosa
• Grease a non-stick dosa tava.
• Pour a small spoon of red dosa batter in the center and flatten it to a small round.
• Immediately pour the white dosa batter around the red circle such that the 2 batters slightly mix at the edges (this will prevent the rings from separating)
• Pour the green batter round the white dosa ring. Again, make sure that the 2 batter slightly mix at the edges.
• Cook on the tava till crisp. Add more oil to the edges if desired.
• Once done, using a steel spatula cut the dosa from any edge to the center.
• Remove the dosa from the tava and shape it in form of a topi (cone).
• Serve with a potato filling.
Preparing Layered Gundponglu
• Grease the slots of a Gundponglu plate ( it is a frying pan with circular molds to hold the batter, if you cannot find one, you can use a iron muffin pan or a small tadka bowl)
• Pour a small amount of red batter in each slot. Wait for few seconds and pour white batter followed by the green batter.
• Cover and cook over medium low heat until the edges turn golden brown.
• Remove and serve hot with coconut chutney