- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Traditional Quick Roast Turkey Recipe
|Turkey||9 Pound, unfrozen (1 Piece, Plucked And Cleaned)|
|Stuffing||9 Cup (144 tbs)|
|Bacon fat strips||10|
|Stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Poultry seasoning||To Taste|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 13842 Calories from Fat 5787
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 647 g995.4%
Saturated Fat 188.7 g943.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 3201.9 mg
Sodium 10299.9 mg429.2%
Total Carbohydrates 1046 g348.7%
Dietary Fiber 129.6 g518.5%
Sugars 90.1 g
Protein 968 g1936%
Vitamin A 160.2% Vitamin C 1349.3%
Calcium 152.8% Iron 538.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Wash turkey inside and out with cold water. Dry thoroughly with kitchen towel. Rub surface all over with a cut lemon to keep flesh white. Fill the body cavity with sausage meat stuffing and the neck with chestnut stuffing, or if using other stuffings fill the neck first not too tightly and put remaining stuffing inside the body. (Recipes for stuffings below). Use wing tips to help hold neck skin in place under bird and sew down the neck skin to keep stuffing in place. Close the cavity as well as possible and putan onion at entrance and tie or sew the leg bones together to keep it closed as much as possible. Rub breast and legs thickly with butter and seasoning, cover with strips of fat bacon and tie these in place. Weigh bird and calculate roasting time using table provided below.
2. Heat 8 tablespoons oil in roasting pan. When hot, put in bird and baste thoroughly. Place a large piece of foil over top and roast for 2 1/2-2 3/4 hours, basting every 20 minutes and turning bird from one side to the other every 20 minutes to allow legs to cook without overcooking breast. For last 30 minutes place bird breast up and remove foil covering to brown breast.
3. Test if bird is done by running skewer into thickest part of leg. If juice is pink, cook longer; if clear, bird is done. Another indication is when the meat on the legs shrinks back on bones.
4. Parboiled potatoes can be roasted around turkey during last hour of cooking or in separate pan in same oven.
5. Remove from roasting pan and put on large serving dish. Keep warm.