- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Chicken Pot Pie (slightly deconstructed) Recipe Video
|Chicken/Leftover chicken||5 Cup (80 tbs), poached and cubed|
|Carrots||2 , cut in thin slices|
|Potato||1 Cup (16 tbs), cubed|
|Frozen peas||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Frozen corn||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), halved|
|Chicken broth||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Skimmed milk/Half and half||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Pepper||To Taste, freshly grounded|
|Puff pastry sheet||1|
Calories 924 Calories from Fat 433
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 48 g74.3%
Saturated Fat 18.3 g91.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 208.9 mg
Sodium 1679.2 mg70%
Total Carbohydrates 69 g23.1%
Dietary Fiber 9.1 g36.5%
Sugars 18.4 g
Protein 53 g105.5%
Vitamin A 97.1% Vitamin C 62.1%
Calcium 15.7% Iron 19.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven at 400 degrees F.
2. In a small bowl mix together egg yolk and cream. Set aside.
3. In a large pot add in the chicken broth and boil.
4. Add in the potato, carrots, peas, garlic and corn. Cook for 8 minutes.
5. Strain the vegetables, reserving 1 cup of the broth and remove the garlic.
6. In a saucepan melt the butter, blend with the flour, and cook several minutes.
7. Gradually stir in 1 cup of the broth and continue stirring till the mixture thickens.
8. Stir in the cream and milk. Season with salt, pepper, and Tabasco.
9. Add in the chicken and vegetables to the sauce and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes.
10. Meanwhile open the sheet of pastry and cut along fold lines. Cut in half horizontally to make six portions. Brush the pastry with the egg yolk mixture and cut out pastry chickens with a small cutter and place on top of the pastry "lids" and brush the chickens with the yolk mixture.
11. Bake for 20 minutes at 400° degrees F.
12. Serve chicken in bowls topped with the pastry "lids".
This is a great make-ahead recipe. Simply reheat the chicken mixture gently and reheat the pastry in a 300° oven. The filling may also be frozen.