- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Tortilla Recipe Recipe Video
|All purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Sea salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lukewarm water||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|For rolling the dough|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable shortening||2 Teaspoon|
Calories 244 Calories from Fat 86
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g15.1%
Saturated Fat 2.4 g12.1%
Trans Fat 1.2 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 198.4 mg8.3%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g4.8%
Sugars 0.1 g
Protein 5 g9.1%
Vitamin A Vitamin C
Calcium 1.1% Iron 11.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat pan/griddle over medium heat.
2. In a large bowl, stir flour and baking powder together. Add vegetable shortening and mix with the flour with hands.
3. In a bowl, dissolve the salt in 1 cup of lukewarm water. Drizzle this slowly into the flour mixture and mix until soft.
4. Knead for 1 minute, pour remaining water. Once it is at the right consistency, cover the dough with a bowl and let it rest for about 20 minutes.
5. Divide the dough into 12 pieces and form into balls. Coat hands with a little bit of shortening and flatten the balls. Let it rest for 20-30 minutes.
6. Place some flour on work surface and on rolling pin. Roll the balls into thin circles. Turn the dough around after each stroke with the rolling pin.
7. In the preheated pan, place the tortilla and flip over every 15-20 seconds until develops brown spots on each side and it bubbles up.
8. Serve the warm tortilla with butter.