- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Tomatoes With Green Peas Recipe
|Firm tomatoes||6 Large|
|Cooked peas||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped fresh mint||2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 833 Calories from Fat 438
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 51 g77.8%
Saturated Fat 25 g125%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 281.8 mg
Sodium 802.3 mg33.4%
Total Carbohydrates 85 g28.3%
Dietary Fiber 25.1 g100.2%
Sugars 43.5 g
Protein 23 g45.6%
Vitamin A 243% Vitamin C 289.8%
Calcium 24% Iron 38.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Wash the tomatoes and dry them properly. Use a sharp serrated knife to slice off the top of each tomato and then carefully scoop out the core and seeds with a pointed teaspoon.
2) In order to drain them properly, turn the tomatoes upside down.
3) Peel the onion and chop it finely.
4) Preheat oven to temperature of 375 degrees.
5) To make the stuffing, in a small heavy-bottomed pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Cook the onion in butter over medium heat till it is tender but not colored.
6) Add the chopped mint and cooked mint to the onion and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
7) Let the mixture cool lightly and then rub it though a coarse sieve. Alternatively, you can also puree the mixture in a blender.
8) Put the mixture back in the pan. Use salt and freshly ground pepper to season to taste.
9) Lightly beat the egg yolk and add it to the onion and peas.
10) Stir the mixture over low heat till it has thickened.
11) Take the mixture off the heat and put the stuffing aside to allow it to cool and stiffen slightly.
12) With salt and pepper, season the insides of the drained tomatoes. Spoon the stuffing into the hollow tomatoes and put the lids back on. Use a wooden cocktail pick to secure the tops.
13) In a well greased ovenproof dish, arrange the tomatoes and use a piece of foil to cover tightly.
14) Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, till the tomatoes are just soft while still keeping their shape.
15) Serve hot after garnishing with an olive skewered on each cocktail pick.