- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Tomato Soup Recipe Video
|Fresh tomatoes/Canned tomato||2 1⁄2 Pound, chopped|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Onion||1⁄2 Pound, chopped|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm), chopped|
|Tomato paste||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Heavy cream||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Sea salt||To Taste|
|White pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Puff pastry||1 Pound|
Calories 1212 Calories from Fat 946
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 107 g164.5%
Saturated Fat 52.3 g261.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 300.2 mg
Sodium 338.8 mg14.1%
Total Carbohydrates 56 g18.5%
Dietary Fiber 5 g20%
Sugars 8.6 g
Protein 13 g26.1%
Vitamin A 93.7% Vitamin C 53.3%
Calcium 17.9% Iron 23.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. In a large stockpot over medium-low heat, melt the 1/4 cup butter. Add the onions, garlic, dry thyme, bay leaf and peppercorns. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
3. Put tomato paste and lightly toast it. Add tomatoes, stir well and simmer over low heat for 30-40 minutes, until soft.
4. Transfer the tomato mixture to a bowl and puree it using a hand blender. Strain it and return the soup to the pot.
5. Add the cream, salt, white pepper and remaining butter. Bring soup to a simmer then remove from heat. Allow the soup to cool in the refrigerator for two hours or overnight.
6. Divide the soup among six cups.
7. Roll out the puff pastry to 1/4 inch. Cut into 6 rounds slightly larger than your cups.
8. In a bowl, beat the egg with water.
9. Paint the dough with the egg wash. Turn the circles and place over the tops of the cups. 10. Lightly paint the top of the dough rounds with egg wash with out pushing the dough down.
11. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the dough is golden brown.
12. Serve the French Tomato Soup immediately.