- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Tomato Herb Bread Recipe
|Dry yeast||1 Tablespoon (1 Package)|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||6 Cup (96 tbs), unsifted|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Dried onion flakes||1 Tablespoon|
|Tomato||1 Large, peeled, seeded and chopped|
|Dried basil||1 Teaspoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3667 Calories from Fat 583
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 66 g101.9%
Saturated Fat 33.9 g169.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 553.6 mg
Sodium 4196.9 mg174.9%
Total Carbohydrates 652 g217.2%
Dietary Fiber 29.7 g118.7%
Sugars 62.4 g
Protein 111 g222%
Vitamin A 82.1% Vitamin C 66.9%
Calcium 76.6% Iron 240.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Heat milk and butter in a saucepan just until warm. Butter does not have to melt.
3. In a large bowl combine salt, 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 cups of the flour. Blend well.
4. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and beat 50 strokes with a wire whisk or rotary beater.
5. Add yeast mixture and another 1/2 cup flour and beat another 50 strokes.
6. Add beaten eggs and beat mixture until thoroughly blended.
7. Add dried onion flakes, tomato, and herbs. Blend well.
8. With a wooden spoon stir in remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, only until mixture becomes a stiff dough and starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Don't add more flour than necessary.
9. Turn dough out on a floured surface and knead, adding more flour only as it is needed, until dough is smooth and satiny—about 10 minutes.
10. Put dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover bowl with a towel and set in a warm place (about 80°F.) to rise until doubled. Takes about 1 1/2 hours.
11. Punch down; turn out onto floured board and knead slightly to remove air bubbles.
12. Divide into 2 portions. Shape into ovals or rounds.
13. Put loaves in lightly greased pans. Cover and let rise again in warm place until almost doubled (about 45 minutes).
14. Bake in 350° oven about 35 to 45 minutes, depending upon the size of the pan. Loaves will look nicely browned and start to pull away from the sides of the pan when they are done.
15. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.