- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Tomato Ginger Upside Down Cake Recipe
|Unsalted butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), melted (1 Stick, Plus 1/2 Cup (1 Stick), At Room Temperature)|
|Grated fresh ginger||1 Tablespoon|
|Firmly packed light brown sugar||30 Tablespoon|
|Ripe tomatoes||3 , peeled, seeded and sliced 1/4 inch thick (Or Enough To Cover The Bottom Of The Pan As You Would For A Pineapple Upside-Down Cake)|
|Molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Unbleached all purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 1120 Calories from Fat 216
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 25 g38%
Saturated Fat 14.7 g73.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 60.5 mg
Sodium 257 mg10.7%
Total Carbohydrates 217 g72.2%
Dietary Fiber 4.1 g16.6%
Sugars 135.4 g
Protein 13 g25.2%
Vitamin A 29.6% Vitamin C 21.1%
Calcium 40.1% Iron 43%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) In a bowl add melted butter, grated ginger and 6 tablespoons brown sugar.
3) Mix and spread evenly on the base of a 10-by-14-mch baking pan.
4) Place tomato slices on top.
5) In a medium size bowl, add room-temperature butter, 1 1 /2 cups brown sugar and molasses.
6) Using electric mixer, beat till creamy.
7) In another bowl, sift flour, baking powder, ground ginger and cloves.
8) Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to the butter mixture.
9) Pour it over the tomatoes in the baking pan.
10) Bake for 40 minutes till an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
11) Take out from oven, run a knife on the sides loosen the cake. Reverse in a platter bigger than the baking pan.
12) Keep aside for 5 minutes.
13) Cool and wrap in plastic.
14) Put it in the picnic basket.
15) Serve in individual platter.