- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Tomato Bread Crisp Recipe
|Unsalted butter||4 Tablespoon, softened|
|Italian bread loaf/1 italian peasant bread, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds||1⁄2 Pound, sliced 1/4 inch thick (Or 1 Long Piece)|
|Beefsteak tomatoes||2 1⁄2 Pound, thinly sliced crosswise (About 4 Large Pieces)|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Minced parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Freshly ground pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|English muffins||2 , split and lightly toasted|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||5 Tablespoon|
Calories 395 Calories from Fat 201
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35.2%
Saturated Fat 9 g45%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 32.5 mg
Sodium 671.2 mg28%
Total Carbohydrates 38 g12.6%
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g18.5%
Sugars 6 g
Protein 12 g24%
Vitamin A 41.9% Vitamin C 45.8%
Calcium 23.6% Iron 15.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Arrange the bread slices in a jelly-roll pan and bake until lightly toasted, 10 to 12 minutes.
3. Line the bottom of the baking dish with half the toasted bread slices in a single layer. Patch any empty spaces with small bits of toast. Arrange half of the tomato slices on top, overlapping if necessary.
4. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over the layer of tomatoes, then season with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, 1/8 teaspoon of the sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper.
5. Cover the tomatoes with the remaining toast and layer the remaining tomato slices on top. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt,
2 tablespoons parsley, 1/8 teaspoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon pepper on top. Dot with the remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
6. Tear the toasted English muffins into large pieces and process in a food processor to form coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, toss the crumbs with the Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle the crumbs evenly over the tomatoes and bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes longer, or until the crisp is soft and lightly browned. Serve hot.