- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Tomato Basil Soup With Salsa Recipe
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Fresh basil||5 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Extra-virgin olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Ripe tomatoes||4 Pound|
|Chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Balsamic vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Sweet red pepper/Tomato||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Salsa||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (To Serve)|
Calories 157 Calories from Fat 80
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.3%
Saturated Fat 0.76 g3.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1.2 mg
Sodium 342.7 mg14.3%
Total Carbohydrates 17 g5.6%
Dietary Fiber 4.2 g16.7%
Sugars 10.5 g
Protein 5 g9.1%
Vitamin A 73.3% Vitamin C 97.7%
Calcium 7.4% Iron 8.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a bowl, add garlic olive oil, pepper and 1 tablespoon of basil
2. With the back of a spoon crush the garlic and mix well. Keep aside for flavors to blend.
3. To blanch the tomatoes add them to a pan of boiling water for 1 minute.
4. Drain and let cool slightly, then peel off the skins.
5. Halve, squeeze out seeds and chop flesh roughly.
6. In a large saucepan, combine the chopped tomatoes and garlic oil
7. Pour in the stock.
8. Place on medium heat and bring liquid to a boil
9. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
10. Tip the contents of the pan into a liquidizer or food processor jar and add remaining basil, balsamic vinegar, and salt.
11. Blend into a smooth puree.
12. Taste and adjust seasonings if required.
13. Strain into a tureen or bowl.
14. Cover and refrigerate until chilled and ready to serve.
15. Pour into individual soup cups or bowls.
16. Garnish with a spoonful of sweet red pepper or tomato salsa.
17. Serve chilled with crusty bread if you like.