- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Tomato and Anchovy Tarts Recipe
|Wholemeal flour||8 Ounce (225 g)|
|Lard||2 Ounce, diced (50 g)|
|Margarine/Butter||2 Ounce, diced (50 g)|
|Cold water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (adjust quantity to mix)|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Onions||3 Large, thinly sliced|
|Tomatoes||6 , skinned and roughly chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Dried mixed herbs||1 Teaspoon|
|Canned anchovy fillets||2 Ounce, drained and soaked in 2 tbls milk for 15 minutes, rinsed and dried (56 g)|
|Black olives||10 , stoned|
|Basil sprigs||3 (to garnish)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2873 Calories from Fat 1533
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 173 g266.2%
Saturated Fat 37.9 g189.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 83.9 mg
Sodium 3850.4 mg160.4%
Total Carbohydrates 298 g99.3%
Dietary Fiber 56.3 g225.1%
Sugars 61.1 g
Protein 63 g126.7%
Vitamin A 388.7% Vitamin C 338.2%
Calcium 88.2% Iron 118.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Heat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, Gas Mark 4.
2) In a bowl, sift the flour and salt and add the lard and margarine and rub with the fingertips until the texture of mix is like breadcrumbs.
3) With the required amount of water, bind the mix to a stiff dough and gently knead till the smooth.
4) Dust a board with flour and turn out the dough.
5) To line 10 x 7.5 cm (3 inch) tartlet tins, roll out the dough to a thickness of 5 mm/1/1 inch.
6) Once well layered, pierce the pastry and chill for 20 minutes.
7) For the filling, in a pan, add the onions into hot oil and gently fry for about 5 minutes, till soft.
8) Add in the tomatoes, garlic and herbs.
9) Place lid and cook for 15 minutes, till sauce thickens and then season to taste.
10) Using foil, line the tartlet case and place baking beans.
11) Blind-bake the tartlets for 7 minutes and then remove foil and beans.
12) Place a scoop of tomato filling into the tartlet cases.
13) Place anchovy fillets in a lattice pattern and over that the olives.
14) Cook in the oven for 10 minutes.
15) Allow to cool in the tins for 10 minutes and then place on a wire rack.
16) Garnish with basil and serve cold.
17) Can also be reheated at 180°C, 350°F, Gas Mark 4 oven for 7-10 minutes and then serve.
To freeze the tartlets, open freeze till solid.
19) Wrap in a sealable container and freeze for up to 4 months.
20) When ready to serve, place tartlets on a wire rack and thaw at room temperature for 2 hours.