- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Tom Kha Gai What Is Tom Kha Gai Thai Coconut Chicken Soup Recipe Video
|For chicken broth|
|Chicken||4 Pound, chopped|
|Onion||1 Medium, sliced|
|Mixed vegetables||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), minced|
|Black peppercorns||12 Small|
|Chinese five spice/Whole allspice||1 Teaspoon|
|For tom kha gai recipe|
|Chicken broth||1⁄2 Gallon|
|Chicken meat||3 Pound (separated from cooked broth)|
|Lemongrass||2 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
|Fresh kaffir lime leaves||4 Small|
|Straw mushroom/Shitake mushrooms||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Ginger||1 Inch (galangal)|
|Red chilies||3 Large, sliced, deseeded|
|Coconut milk||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Fresh lime juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Fish sauce||3 Tablespoon|
|Coriander leaves/Cilantro leaves||2 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
|Fresh basil leaves||2 Tablespoon|
|Scallions||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), slivered|
Calories 1256 Calories from Fat 708
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 79 g122.1%
Saturated Fat 29.4 g147.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 372.7 mg
Sodium 1975.7 mg82.3%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g7.1%
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g18.4%
Sugars 8.2 g
Protein 111 g221.3%
Vitamin A 53.9% Vitamin C 96.4%
Calcium 16.5% Iron 39.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Chop the vegetables.
2. In a stock pot, add chicken and add water. Bring it to a boil.
3. Add onions and vegetables. Let the broth simmer for 120 minutes.
4. When chicken is cooked, remove it from the stock and keep aside.
5. Let the stock simmer. Remove chicken meat from the bones and keep the bones aside.
6. Strain the chicken broth to separate vegetables and add chicken meat to the stock. Let it simmer again for 60 minutes.
7. Use the broth in making tom kha gai soup. Recipe follows.
FOR MAKING TOM KHA GAI SOUP
1. In a stock pot, boil the chicken broth.
2. Add your chicken meat and straw mushrooms to the soup.
3. Add your lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and red or green chilies to the soup now.
4. Boil this mixture for 5 to 8 minutes. Now turn heat down to medium.
5. Add galangal or ginger now to the soup.
6. Add coconut milk to the soup stir in well.
7. Add the fish sauce and any extra veggies you are going to use in this soup.
8. Stir well and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
9. Turn heat down now and add your lime juice and stir in well.
10. Garnish with cilantro, basil, chives, shallots and chilies and serve.