- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Tofu Squares with Mushroom Tomato Sauce Recipe
|Firm tofu||44 Ounce, drained (2 Blocks, 22 Ounces Each)|
|Whole wheat bread slice||1|
|Spike seasoning/Similar vegetable broth seasoning||1 Teaspoon|
|Skim milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Swiss cheese||3 Ounce, well-chilled|
|Fresh mushrooms||8 Ounce|
|Ripe tomatoes||5 Large|
|Dry oregano||1 Teaspoon, crumbled|
Calories 535 Calories from Fat 269
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g47.5%
Saturated Fat 8.4 g42.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 284.5 mg
Sodium 334.1 mg13.9%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g8%
Dietary Fiber 4.9 g19.5%
Sugars 10.2 g
Protein 47 g94.4%
Vitamin A 58.9% Vitamin C 59.8%
Calcium 90.7% Iron 41.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to 350°F before baking.
2) Attach a metal blade to the work bowl of a food processor and then process bread, torn into pieces, until coarsely chopped.
3) Stir in green onions and celery and process them into 1-inch pieces, pulsing on/off until coarsely chopped.
4) Switch off the machine and then add in seasoning, pepper, eggs, milk and 1 tablespoon oil.
5) Mix them well with 3-4 on/off pulses and then keep the mixture aside.
6) Wash and dry work bowl and attach a shredding disc it.
7) Shred Swiss cheese to fit feed tube using light pressure and then keep it aside after removing from bowl.
8) Further attach the slicing disc and then stack mushrooms sideways into feed tube, slicing them with firm pressure.
9) Keep them aside after removing from the bowl.
10) Attach metal blade to the work bowl and then quarter tomatoes, pulsing on/off until coarsely chopped.
11) Crumble tofu into small pieces and keep aside in a saucepan.
12) Add in 2 cups water.
13) Allow the mixture to come to a boil after covering the pan.
14) Lower the heat and simmer it for 2 minutes.
15) With several thicknesses of cheesecloth, line a colander.
16) Into the colander, pour the tofu and wash with cold water.
17) Press tofu firmly against the bottom and sides of the colander to remove excess water using a potato masher or large spoon.
18) Into a mixing bowl, empty the crumbled tofu and then allow cooling slightly.
19) Pour in the green onions and celery, egg and milk mixture, stirring well.
20) Over the bottom of a well-oiled 8 x 8-inch baking pan, spread tofu mixture and press it gently into an even layer.
21) Wrap it with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes in preheated oven until firm but not dry.
22) In the meantime, for the sauce, take a medium saucepan and heat 1 tablespoon oil over high heat in it.
23) Stir in mushrooms and sautÃ© them for 1 minute.
24) Mix in tomatoes with liquid, oregano and salt and cook the mixture, covered for 2 minutes.
25) Take off the cover and turn heat to medium.
26) Again cook the mixture for 15-20 minutes until slightly thickened.
27) Take off the sauce from heat and then stir in cheese until melted.
28) Square the tofu and then top them with mushroom tomato sauce.
29) Serve hot.