- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Joyce's Artichoke Heart Stew with Phabulous Philly/ Rice with Toasted Orzo Recipe Video
|For artichoke heart stew|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Yellow onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Nutmeg powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|All spice||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground beef/Ground turkey||1 Pound|
|Tomato paste||10 Ounce (1 can)|
|Canned tomatoes||14 Ounce, diced (or 1 cup- diced fresh tomatoes)|
|Frozen artichoke hearts||4 Cup (64 tbs), cut into 4, rinsed|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Philadelphia cream cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (or lebni, a Lebanese condensed yogurt)|
|For rice with toasted orzo|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Long grain white rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Orzo pasta||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water/Chicken broth||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Toasted pine nuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 797 Calories from Fat 377
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 43 g65.5%
Saturated Fat 11.7 g58.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 64 mg
Sodium 1079.9 mg45%
Total Carbohydrates 84 g27.8%
Dietary Fiber 7.7 g30.7%
Sugars 7.8 g
Protein 25 g50.2%
Vitamin A 54.2% Vitamin C 34.9%
Calcium 9.1% Iron 30.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. ARTICHOKE HEART STEW: In large pot heat oil over high heat. Add onions and sauté until soft. Season with salt, pepper, paprika, nutmeg & allspice.
2. Put the ground beef and using cooking spoon break it into small pieces. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until fully browned. Add the tomato paste and diced tomatoes, artichoke hearts and water.
3. Stir well to mix and bring to a boil on high heat. Cover the pot with lid, reduce heat to low and let it simmer for about 45 minutes.
4. RICE WITH ORZO: Meanwhile in medium pot heat oil over medium heat. Add the orzo and toast it by constantly stirring till golden brown.
5. Immediately add rice and stir till the rice grains are all coated with oil. Add water, salt and pepper. Stir well to mix.
6. Increase the heat to high and bring it to a boil. Then reduce heat to low, cover with lid and let it simmer for around 25 minutes or until the rice is soft and water is fully absorbed. Using fork or chop stick fluff up the rice. Set aside.
7. After 45 minutes uncover the pot and mix the Philly cheese in the beef and artichoke stew until completely incorporated. Mix well and turn off the heat.
8. In a serving plate, put the rice. Spread the artichoke heart stew generously over it. Garnish with toasted pine nuts and serve hot.
To make the vegetarian version of this dish leave out ground beef from the stew and chicken broth from the rice.