- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Toasted Grain Pilaf Recipe
|Quinoa/Millet -2 cups / amaranth 2 cups / mixed 2 cups||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Chicken stock/4 cups vegetable stock||4 Cup (64 tbs) (Or More As Required)|
|Sun-dried tomatoes||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Dried In Package, Not Oil)|
|Boiling purified water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Zucchini||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), shredded|
|Yellow summer squash||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), shredded|
|Red bell pepper||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), minced|
|Scallions/1/4 cup green onions, chopped||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Curry powder||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
Calories 279 Calories from Fat 50
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g8.5%
Saturated Fat 0.94 g4.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 4.8 mg1.6%
Sodium 346.6 mg14.4%
Total Carbohydrates 45 g14.9%
Dietary Fiber 4.8 g19.1%
Sugars 4.2 g
Protein 13 g25.6%
Vitamin A 6.3% Vitamin C 23.1%
Calcium 4.2% Iron 18.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large saucepan placed in low heat, add the grains and stirring constantly, toss for just 1 minute or until they turn light brown.
2. Blend in curry powder, stir, take off from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
3. Add the stock to the mixture and bring it to boil.
4. Add more stock, if required and cook for 5 more minutes or until the millet has absorbed the liquid completely.
5. Soak dried tomatoes in boiling water for 15 minutes, drain and reserve the liquid, and chop the tomatoes.
6. In a small skillet on low heat, mix chopped tomatoes with zucchini, squash, red pepper, scallions, and reserved liquid. Cook until the liquid has almost been absorbed.
7. Add to cooked grain and toss to mix everything. Adjust salt, if required
9. Using a fork, fluff Toasted Grain Pilaf and serve with Tomato Ketchup.