- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Toasted Anise Bars Recipe
|Eggs||6 , separated|
|Cream of tartar||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Granulated sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (firmly packed)|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Anise seeds||2 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2368 Calories from Fat 324
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g56%
Saturated Fat 9.8 g48.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1268.9 mg423%
Sodium 2763 mg115.1%
Total Carbohydrates 464 g154.6%
Dietary Fiber 9.5 g37.8%
Sugars 302.7 g
Protein 62 g124.8%
Vitamin A 31.1% Vitamin C 10.5%
Calcium 75.2% Iron 144.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Beat egg yolks and brown sugar until thick and light in small bowl of mixer at high speed. Fold egg yolk mixture into meringue with a wire whip until well blended.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into egg mixture; add anise seeds; fold into mixture with wire whip until well blended.
4. Grease and flour a 15x10x 1-inch jelly roll pan; tap out excess flour; spread batter in prepared pan.
5. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 20 minutes, or until center springs back when lightly touched with fingertip. Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes.
6. Cut layer in half and remove; split each half crosswise with a serrated knife, then cut into 2 1/2 x 1 inch bars, to make 60 pieces.
7. Arrange bars, cut-side up, in a single layer on a large cookie sheet and in jelly roll pan.
8. Bake in moderate (350°) 10 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Remove from pan to wire racks with spatula; cool completely. Store in container with a tight-fitting lid.