- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Thyme and Fennel Rubbed Strip Steaks with Pickled Okra and Creamy Coleslaw Recipe
|For pickled okra|
|White vinegar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chilies||2 Small (Red Tabasco / Fiesta / Serrano Chiles)|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm)|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Black peppercorns||2 Tablespoon|
|Okra||1 Pound, washed, stems trimmed|
|For the coleslaw|
|Cabbage head||1 Small, cored and shredded|
|Carrot||1 Small, grated|
|Scallions||1 Small, finely sliced|
|Prepared mayonnaise||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Sour cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Caraway seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|For the steak|
|Ground fennel seed||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Crushed dried thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Or Ground)|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Boneless strip steaks||36 Ounce (4 In Number 9 Ounce Each)|
Calories 1131 Calories from Fat 789
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 88 g135.5%
Saturated Fat 22.4 g111.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 185.4 mg61.8%
Sodium 2031.6 mg84.7%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g8%
Dietary Fiber 6.9 g27.4%
Sugars 4.8 g
Protein 58 g115.7%
Vitamin A 54.4% Vitamin C 93.6%
Calcium 17.9% Iron 13.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a large pot of boiling water, sterilize two pint-sized bottling jars with tight lids.
2) Carefully remove the bottling jars from the boiling water and turn them over to drain out excess water.
3) In a saucepan, bring to boil vinegar, water, chiles, garlic, mustard, peppercorns and salt. Add in the okra, let the mixture come to a boil once more before taking the saucepan off the flame.
4) With tongs, gently pick the okras one by one and place in the jars in such a way that the broad and narrow ends alternate.
5) Distribute the chiles, garlic, mustard and peppercorn between the two jars equally and pour the liquid leaving 1/4th inch of a gap between the lid and liquid. Seal the two jars tighly and store away for 2 to 3 weeks in a cool and dry place.
6) In a mixing bowl, combine cabbage, carrot, and scallions in a mixing bowl.
7) In another mixing bowl, add mayonnaise, oil, sour cream, caraway seeds, tobasco, salt and pepper.
8) Add the dressing onto the vegetable mixture and mix well. Place in the fridge for about 2 hours but serve at room temperature.
9) In a large dish, combine fennel seed, dried thyme, salt and pepper and dredge the steaks in the mixture.
10) In a preheated oven, broil the steaks placed about 2 to 3 inches away from the heat source. Broil for about 5 minutes on each side for medium-rare and about 8 minutes for medium.
11) Place the steak in the centre of the plate and spoon a little succotash on the side.
12) On the other side of the plate arrange 4 to 5 okras. Serve immediately.