- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
The Royal Truffle Recipe
|Granulated sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|1% milk||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|70% buttermilk vegetable oil spread||1 Tablespoon|
|Pure vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|For sponge cake|
|Nonstick vegetable cooking spray||1|
|Cake flour||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Pure vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Almond extract||13⁄50 Teaspoon|
|Confectioners sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For Dusting)|
|Cherry jam||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh strawberries||1⁄2 Pint, hulled|
|Frozen pitted sweet cherries||1 Cup (16 tbs), thawed, drained, and halved|
|Kiwifruit||1 , peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced crosswise|
|Sliced blanched almonds||2 Tablespoon, toasted|
Calories 694 Calories from Fat 119
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g20.3%
Saturated Fat 3.1 g15.6%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 167.1 mg55.7%
Sodium 435.6 mg18.2%
Total Carbohydrates 128 g42.6%
Dietary Fiber 5.9 g23.7%
Sugars 89 g
Protein 17 g33.6%
Vitamin A 13.6% Vitamin C 76.7%
Calcium 38.3% Iron 12.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Meanwhile, make cake: Preheat oven to 375°. Line bottom of 13 X 9 X 2-inch baking pan with waxed paper. Lightly coat paper with cooking spray.
3. Into bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt.
4. In large bowl, with electric mixer on high speed, beat eggs until thick and pale yellow, about 5 minutes. Then gradually beat in granulated sugar. Add 3 tablespoons water and the vanilla and almond extracts. Reduce mixer speed to low, and beat until blended. Sift in flour mixture in three additions, and beat on low speed until just blended. Pour into prepared pan, gently spreading evenly.
5. Bake in 375° oven until top is golden, cake is springy to the touch, and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 12 minutes. Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Dust clean kitchen towel with confectioners' sugar. Turn cake out onto towel. Carefully peel off waxed paper. From long side, roll up cake and towel together. Let cool completely on rack.
6. To assemble trifle: Unroll cake and towel. Spread cake with jam. From same long side, roll up cake, without towel. With serrated knife, cut cake crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Arrange a few slices in bottom of 2-quart straight-sided glass bowl. Spread 1 cup chilled custard over top. Set aside 4 small strawberries for garnish. Slice remaining berries. Top custard in bowl with half the sliced berries and half the cherries. Arrange some cake slices around side of bowl so cut sides show through. Top fruit layer with remaining cake slices. Top with remaining strawberries and cherries. Top with remaining custard, spreading to cover fruit. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours, or overnight.
7. To serve, cut reserved strawberries in half. Garnish top of trifle with kiwifruit slices, strawberry halves, toasted almonds, and whipped topping, if using.