- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Thai Jasmine Rice Recipe
|Oyster sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Bacon||1⁄2 Pound, sliced|
|Peanut oil||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Eggs||5 Small, beaten|
|Freshly ground white pepper||1 Pinch|
|Shallots||3 Medium, minced|
|Broccoli stalks||4 Large, peeled and cut into 1 inch dice to make about 1 1/4 cups|
|Cooked chicken||1 Cup (16 tbs), made with jasmine rice and chicken stock or broth, cooled, uncovered|
|Scallions||6 Medium, thinly sliced|
Calories 229 Calories from Fat 151
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26.4%
Saturated Fat 4.5 g22.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 162.4 mg
Sodium 455.4 mg19%
Total Carbohydrates 6 g1.9%
Dietary Fiber 0.43 g1.7%
Sugars 1.4 g
Protein 14 g27%
Vitamin A 10.8% Vitamin C 26.1%
Calcium 4.3% Iron 7.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Using a small sharp knife, cut the fat from the bacon. Cut the meat into 1/2-inch pieces and the fat into 1/2-inch dice. Set aside separately.
3. Heat a wok over high heat for 40 seconds. Add the diced bacon fat and stir-fry until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes. Remove the wok from the heat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cracklings to paper towels to drain. Pour off the fat. Rinse and dry the wok and spatula.
4. Heat the wok over high heat for 40 seconds. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of the peanut oil and swirl the oil around the wok with the spatula until a wisp of white smoke appears, about 1 minute. Add the eggs and the pepper and scramble until firm, about 2 minutes. Remove the wok from the heat and, using the spatula, cut the eggs into 1/2-inch pieces. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Again, rinse and dry the wok and spatula.
5. Heat the wok over high heat for 40 seconds. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon peanut oil and swirl the oil around with the spatula until a wisp of white smoke appears, about 1 minute. Add the meaty bacon and spread in a single layer. Cook for 1 minute, flip over and cook until well browned, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in the shallots and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the broccoli stalks, mix well and cook for 2 minutes more.
6. Stir in the rice and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Add the reserved oyster sauce mixture and stir until the rice is thoroughly coated. Stir in the reserved eggs. Add the scallions and mix well; season to taste with salt. Transfer the rice to a warm platter, sprinkle the reserved fat cracklings on top and serve.