- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Tex Mex Turkey Corn And Barley Casserole Recipe
|Olive oil/Canola oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 , coarsely chopped|
|Sweet pepper||1 Large, coarsely chopped (Red / Green Variety)|
|Finely chopped hot chilies||1 Teaspoon|
|Barley||1 Cup (16 tbs), rinsed|
|Chicken stock||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Canned crushed tomatoes||14 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Shredded cooked turkey||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Frozen corn kernels||1 Cup (16 tbs), thawed|
Calories 492 Calories from Fat 118
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g20.4%
Saturated Fat 2.6 g13.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 80.3 mg
Sodium 435.2 mg18.1%
Total Carbohydrates 59 g19.7%
Dietary Fiber 10.7 g42.6%
Sugars 7.6 g
Protein 35 g70.5%
Vitamin A 36.1% Vitamin C 96.3%
Calcium 8.4% Iron 24.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. In a flameproof casserole, heat the oil over moderate heat.
3. Add the onions, sweet and chili peppers and sauté, for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender crisp.
4. Add the barley and sauté for a few minutes until coated with oil.
5. Tip in the stock, crushed tomatoes, and seasonings and bring to a boil.
6. Stir in the shredded turkey.
7. Cover the casserole with a tight fitting lid and transfer it to the preheated oven.
8. Braise, for about 50-55 minutes, stirring occasionally.
9. Stir in the corn and bake covered for another 5-10 minutes until the barley and corn are tender and all liquid is absorbed.
10. Remove and let stand covered for 5 minutes.
11. Dish out onto a serving plate or serve directly from the casserole.