- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Tex Mex Red Beans Recipe
|Red kidney beans||1 Cup (16 tbs), dried|
|Olive oil/Canola oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 , chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Sweet peppers||2 , chopped (Red Or Green)|
|Canned crushed tomatoes||14 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Dried thyme||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 305 Calories from Fat 75
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.2%
Saturated Fat 1.3 g6.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 255.7 mg10.7%
Total Carbohydrates 47 g15.8%
Dietary Fiber 12.1 g48.5%
Sugars 5.7 g
Protein 14 g27.3%
Vitamin A 20.5% Vitamin C 129.9%
Calcium 12% Iron 34.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Pour in some cold water over the beans and let it stand for about 8 hours. Allow the beans to soak in the water.
2. Drain the beans.
3. In a large pot, bring the beans to boil in 2 quarts water for 10 minutes and then simmer for about 45 minutes. Drain the beans again.
5. Use a Dutch oven and heat some oil. Saute the onions and garlic for 5 minutes. Add the diced 5. sweet peppers and saute for additional 5 minutes.
6. Stir in tomatoes, cumin, herbs, pepper and salt. Boil the mixture.
7. Add the beans and stock. Simmer for 20 minutes uncovered and throw away the bay leaf.
8. Serve hot in a serving dish.