- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Tempting Apple Trifles Recipe
|Skim milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cornstarch||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dark brown sugar||4 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Canola oil||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Rum extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon, divided|
|Unsweetened apple cider||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), divided|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Peeled chopped golden delicious apple||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Angel food cake cubes||1 Cup (16 tbs), divided (Use 1/2 Inch Sized)|
Calories 393 Calories from Fat 40
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6.8%
Saturated Fat 0.17 g0.87%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 8.8 mg
Sodium 322.1 mg13.4%
Total Carbohydrates 82 g27.4%
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g7%
Sugars 29.9 g
Protein 7 g13.7%
Vitamin A 0.2% Vitamin C 50.6%
Calcium 9.3% Iron 2.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a small heavy bottomed saucepan, dissolve cornstarch in milk.
2. Blend in brown sugar, egg white and oil and stir until blended.
3. Place the pan on a low flame and cook, whisking constantly with a wire whisk, until the mixture thickens to custard consistency.
4. Take pan off the heat.
5. Stir in vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon rum extract. Set aside to cool completely.
6. In the meantime in medium saucepan combine 2 tablespoons cider, raisins and cinnamon.
7. Heat to a boil then stir in apple.
8. Cook, stirring frequently until apple is soft and mixture is dry.
9. Take off the heat and let cool.
10. To assemble the trifle, in 2 dessert bowls, place 1/4 cup of cake on the bottom.
11. Combine remaining cider and rum extract and spoon a little over cake in each dish.
12. Top with 1/4 of custard mixture and 1/4 cup apple sauce.
13. Repeat layers.
14. Serve the trifle immediately.