- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Asian Style Tempered Tomato and Coconut Soup Recipe Video
|Ripe tomato||10 Medium|
|Fresh coconut||1 Cup (16 tbs), unsweetened , grated/scraped|
|Salt||1 Tablespoon (use as per taste)|
|Sugar||1 Tablespoon (use as per taste)|
|Clarified butter/Ghee||1 Tablespoon|
|Curry leaves||6 Small|
|Red chilies||4 Medium, dried|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
Calories 184 Calories from Fat 96
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g17.4%
Saturated Fat 8.3 g41.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 10.1 mg
Sodium 1475.1 mg61.5%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g7%
Dietary Fiber 5.9 g23.6%
Sugars 14.2 g
Protein 4 g7.8%
Vitamin A 55% Vitamin C 114.1%
Calcium 4.1% Iron 8.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Score an ‘x” on each tomato and place in a large saucepan.
2. Cover with just enough water to come up to about 3/4ths of the tomatoes.
3. Bring to the boil and simmer until the tomato skins are wrinkled and the tomatoes are cooked through.
4. Place the cooked tomatoes in a blender along with the coconut and puree until smooth.
5. Pass through a soup strainer and return to heat.
6. Season with salt and sugar.
7. In a small iron or other metal ladle (or similar utensil), heat the ghee.
8. When smoking hot, add the mustard leaves, curry leaves, chilies and asafetida. Turn off the heat.
9. Plunge the ladle into the pot of soup and serve hot with bread of choice.
10. Spoon a bit of the tempering onto each soup bowl just before serving.