- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Tarte Tatin - French Apple Pie Recipe Video
|Sweet dough||1 Pound|
|Granny smith apples||8 (or Golden Delicious apples)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Nutmeg powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cinnamon powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
Calories 559 Calories from Fat 153
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26.8%
Saturated Fat 7.5 g37.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 21.5 mg
Sodium 579.6 mg24.1%
Total Carbohydrates 101 g33.8%
Dietary Fiber 6.8 g27%
Sugars 55.5 g
Protein 4 g7.8%
Vitamin A 5.1% Vitamin C 0.93%
Calcium 3.1% Iron 10.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Peel and cut the apple into half. Core them and slice them. Keep the slices together as shown in the video, do not separate them . Repeat this with all the apples.
2. CARAMEL: In an oven safe pan, put sugar, lemon juice and water. Place it on medium high heat and bring it to boil. Lower the heat to medium and cook till it turns deep golden brown.
3. Remove from heat and add butter. Stir it till the butter melts in the caramel.
4. Place the pan back on low heat and put the apples in it with core side facing up.
5. Cover and cook the apples for around 20 minutes on medium heat. Check with a fork to see if apples are cooked.
6. Remove the lid and continue to cook till all the liquid is evaporated. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla extract.
7. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
8. Meanwhile, sprinkle flour on a flat surface and roll the dough.
9. Remove the apples from heat and cover with the rolled dough. Fold in the extra edges.
10. Place the pan in the oven and bake for around 30 minutes or till the dough is fully cooked.
11. Remove from oven and let it sit for a few minutes. Place a plate over the pan and invert it to transfer the pie onto a plate.
12. In a serving plate, slice and serve the Tarte Tatin warm with ice cream.