- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Tarte Tatin - French Recipe Video
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Pastry dough||10 Ounce|
|Softened butter||5 Tablespoon|
Calories 398 Calories from Fat 150
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26%
Saturated Fat 8.3 g41.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 20.2 mg
Sodium 147.5 mg6.1%
Total Carbohydrates 63 g21.1%
Dietary Fiber 4.1 g16.6%
Sugars 40.2 g
Protein 2 g3%
Vitamin A 6.3% Vitamin C 11.2%
Calcium 1.5% Iron 3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Peel all of your apples, cut them into quarters and remove the base of the stem and core.
2. Preheat the oven at 425F before you start rolling the pastry dough.
3. Take a deep pan about 10 inches in diameter and spread the butter and sprinkle sugar evenly, reserve 3 or 4 tablespoons of sugar.
4. Arrange the apples into the pan round side down in a pattern, once done sprinkle them with the rest of the sugar. Then start the second layer this time with the round side of the apples facing up.
5. Turn on the heat to high and let the sugar to caramelize along with the butter at the bottom for 10-15 minutes.
6. Once the sugar is caramelized turn off the heat and let it cool, if you want to check if the sugar is ready, prick the bottom of the pan with a knife and when it doesn't stick to the bottom it’s done.
7. Start rolling the pastry dough, roll it about half inch wider than the diameter of the pan, place it over the pan press the edges to seal.
8. Bake the tarte tatin for about 15 minutes at 425F then lower the heat to 350F and let it cook for another 15 minutes.
9. Once done take a plate a bit larger than the diameter of the pan place it over the top of the pan. Then turn the pan over while the tart is still hot.
10. Serve the tarte tatin with some whipped cream on the side.
Don't wait for it to cool or the caramel will harden to the bottom of the pan