- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Tarragon Creamed Lettuce Recipe
|Iceberg lettuce head||1 1⁄2 Large, shredded to make 10 cups|
|Low sodium low fat milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter/Corn oil margarine||1 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|White pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Crushed dried tarragon||2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh lemon juice||2 Teaspoon|
Calories 60 Calories from Fat 22
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g3.9%
Saturated Fat 1.5 g7.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 4 mg
Sodium 44.3 mg1.8%
Total Carbohydrates 7 g2.4%
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g4.6%
Sugars 4.6 g
Protein 3 g6.4%
Vitamin A 10.5% Vitamin C 6%
Calcium 3% Iron 4.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Over rapidly boiling water, steam the lettuce for 1 minute until just crisp tender.
2) Quickly place under cold running water. This will stop the cooking and preserve the color of the lettuce. Drain well and keep aside.
3) In a saucepan, heat the milk over low heat.
4) In another saucepan, heat the butter and melt well.
5) To the butter, add the flour and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Do not brown the flour.
6) Remove from heat.
7) To this, immediately add the hot milk, stirring frequently.
8) Return the pan to heat.
9) Over low heat, cook slowly for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring in between.
10) To this, add the white pepper and tarragon. Mix thoroughly. (To remove lumps, if any, you can whirl the mix in a blender and smoothen.)
11) To this, now add the lemon juice.
12) In a large mixing bowl, combine this sauce and steamed lettuce, tossing well.
13) You can either serve this hot, or refrigerate and then serve cold.