- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Peppered Tamale Pie Recipe
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Green pepper||1 , chopped|
|Round steak||1 Pound, ground|
|Ground pork||1⁄4 Pound|
|Canned tomatoes||30 Ounce (1 No. 21/2 Can)|
|Ripe olives||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), pitted|
|Chili peppers||2 , cut fine|
|Grated cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Corn meal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
Calories 419 Calories from Fat 229
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g39.6%
Saturated Fat 6.4 g32.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 40.1 mg
Sodium 463 mg19.3%
Total Carbohydrates 27 g9.1%
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g18.6%
Sugars 1.4 g
Protein 21 g42.1%
Vitamin A 23.9% Vitamin C 45.2%
Calcium 15.4% Iron 18.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Place a large Dutch over or casserole, heat oil over a medium high flame.
2. Add the onions, garlic and pepper and sauté until onion is soft and lightly browned.
3. Add the ground meat and brown well.
4. Tip in the tomatoes, olives, peppers and seasonings and stir well.
5. Cover the pan and simmer on a low flame for 1 hour until the meat is cooked. Add water if the mixture gets too dry.
6. When the meat is cooked, add the cheese, corn meal and chill powder and blend it, stirring until it is heated though.
7. Make a corn meal mush by combining corn meal and water.
8. Spoon the tamale into a casserole dish.
9. Cover with the corn meal mush and place under a broiler until golden brown.
10. Serve garnished with olives.