- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Taffy Eggs Recipe
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Evaporated milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dark corn syrup||3 Tablespoon|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Nuts||2 Cup (32 tbs), finely chopped|
|Butterscotch bits||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5917 Calories from Fat 2404
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 264 g406.2%
Saturated Fat 95.3 g476.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 318.5 mg
Sodium 2454.7 mg102.3%
Total Carbohydrates 870 g289.9%
Dietary Fiber 22.6 g90.3%
Sugars 647.6 g
Protein 83 g166.5%
Vitamin A 72.5% Vitamin C 9.3%
Calcium 124.3% Iron 6.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a large saucepan, mix together sugar, brown sugar, water, milk, corn syrup and salt.
2) Stirring continuously, simmer until sugar is dissolved.
3) Raise the heat to medium and cook to 240 degrees on candy thermometer or to soft-ball stage.
4) In an electric mixer bowl, shave butter.
5) Add nuts and hot candy mixture and beat at medium speed of mixer until fondant is stiff for mixer.
6) Transfer the fondant onto greased tray.
7) Allow the fondant mixture to cool, enough to handle.
8) Using hands knead fondant until smooth and creamy.
9) Shape the fondant into 4 eggs and place on cake rack.
10) Place in refrigerator for 24 hours.
11) In top of double boiler, melt together butterscotch bits and paraffin.
12) Plunge the fondant eggs into warm butterscotch mixture, replace on cake rack to drip.
13) Store in refrigerator for at least 1 week to ripen.
14) Garnish the Taffy Eggs with cake icing, if desired.