- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Taco Shells Recipe
|Boiling water||1 1⁄8 Cup (18 tbs)|
|Butter||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Cornmeal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chili powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Whole wheat flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
Calories 168 Calories from Fat 39
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6.8%
Saturated Fat 2.3 g11.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 9 mg3%
Sodium 91.5 mg3.8%
Total Carbohydrates 30 g9.9%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16.1%
Sugars 0.2 g
Protein 4 g9%
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0.2%
Calcium 1.1% Iron 8.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large mixing bowl, sift in the flour with the cornmeal, chili powder, salt and pepper
2. Melt the butter in the hot water and pour this liquid into the dry ingredients.
3. Allow it to stand for 10 minutes.
4. Using your hand or a wooden spoon, combine the mixture to bind and make a stiff dough.
5. Cover the bowl and allow the dough to rest for 1 hour.
6. Turn the dough on to a well floured work surface and divide it into 9 equal portions and roll into balls.
7. Flatten a ball of dough in flour, place on board and roll into a circle of 6 inches, dusting with flour as you roll.
8. Do the same with the other portions of dough
9. Heat a skillet or frying pan on a medium flame.
10. When the skillet in hot, place the taco shell in it and brown on one side.
11. Using a pair of tongs, flip it over and cook on the other side.
12. Roll the sides of the shell up into a taco shape while it's cooking. Don’t wait for the shell to cool down before you do so or else it will be to hard and will crack.
13. Make the remaining shells in same way.
14. Stuff the taco shells with your favorite fillings and top with a Taco Sauce.