- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Taco Night!: Easy Entertaining Recipe Video
|For the taco meat|
|Lean hamburger||2 Pound|
|Chunky salsa||24 Ounce (One Jar)|
|For the salsa|
|Tomatoes||5 Medium, chopped (4 - 5 Tomatoes used)|
|Onion||1⁄2 Medium, chopped|
|Jalapeno pepper||1⁄2 Medium, finely diced (Seeds and membrane discarded)|
|Cilantro||2 Tablespoon, chopped (One handful)|
|Lime juice||1 Tablespoon (Juice form 1 lime)|
|For the tortillas|
|Canola oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (As required)|
|Corn tortillas||12 Medium|
|For the cilantro cream|
|Non fat sour cream||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As needed)|
|Cilantro||2 Tablespoon, chopped finely (One handful)|
|Other fillings for the taco|
|Chopped lettuce||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (As needed to put in 12 tacos)|
|Cheddar cheese||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), shredded (As needed)|
Calories 360 Calories from Fat 152
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26.2%
Saturated Fat 5 g25.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 20.8 mg
Sodium 586.9 mg24.5%
Total Carbohydrates 28 g9.3%
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g13.6%
Sugars 3.9 g
Protein 23 g45.8%
Vitamin A 39.9% Vitamin C 29.3%
Calcium 23.9% Iron 10.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Tongs
2. Paper towel (1 for each tortilla)
To Prepare the Taco Meat:
1. In a pan, brown the lean hamburger meat on medium-high heat.
2. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add jar of salsa. Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
To Prepare the Fresh Salsa:
4. Place a strainer/colander over a bowl. Add chopped tomatoes, onions, jalapeno pepper and cilantro. Let sit for about 20-30 minutes.
5. Drain the juice. Place tomato mixture back into a large bowl.
6. Add juice of 1 lime and salt to taste.
7. Mix everything together to combine well.
To Prepare the Tortillas: (Have paper towels ready before frying the tortillas)
8. Place a 12 inch frying pan on medium heat. Add about 1/2 inch of canola oil.
9. When oil is hot, add 1 corn tortilla into pan. Using tongs, ﬂip tortilla onto other side, then immediately fold in half. Move tortilla around in oil, gently turning it over and over, until slightly crisp.
10. Lift tortilla out of oil and let the oil drip into the pan. Have paper towels ready and place the tortilla in the center of the paper towel. Fold paper over tortilla.
11. Place on plate and keep in warm oven until ready to serve.
12. Continue frying the rest of the tortillas, adding additional canola oil, if needed.
To Prepare the Cilantro Cream:
13. Mix sour cream and cilantro together in small bowl.
Assembling the Tacos:
14. Unwrap a fried tortilla. Add some beef, shredded cheddar cheese, fresh salsa, chopped lettuce and a dollop of cilantro cream.
15. Serve the fresh tacos immediately.