- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Swiss Steak Recipe
|Round steak||2 Pound|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Shortening/Bacon strips||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
Calories 404 Calories from Fat 257
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g44.4%
Saturated Fat 8.6 g42.8%
Trans Fat 2.5 g
Cholesterol 46 mg
Sodium 559.3 mg23.3%
Total Carbohydrates 10 g3.5%
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g9.9%
Sugars 4.8 g
Protein 26 g51.6%
Vitamin A 20.8% Vitamin C 30.5%
Calcium 5.4% Iron 11.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Trim the edges of the steak and make 3 slashes on the top to prevent steak from curling when cooked
2. Rub salt and pepper on both sides of the steak.
3. Coat both sides of the steak well with flour.
4. Slice the onions and chop the tomatoes.
5. In a large Dutch oven add the shortening or the bacon drippings and melt over a medium high flame.
6. When the fat is hot, add the steak and sear on both sides.
7. Add the onions to the pan and lightly sauté with the steak.
8. Tip in the tomatoes and water.
9. Add the bay leaves and marjoram.
10. Cover tightly and simmer over a low flame for 2 hours or until steak is tender.
11. Add more water to the casserole if the gravy gets too thick while cooking.
12. Transfer the steak onto a platter and pour the gravy on top.
13. Slice at the table using a steak carving knife.
14. Serve accompanied with potatoes or vegetables.