- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sweet Potato or Yam Souffle Recipe
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Canned sweet potatoes/1 can yams / 2 cups mashed, cooked fresh sweet potatoes or yams||1 Pound|
|Orange||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Light cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 182 Calories from Fat 83
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g14.6%
Saturated Fat 5.8 g29.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 33.3 mg
Sodium 210.1 mg8.8%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g7%
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g4.7%
Sugars 9.9 g
Protein 4 g8.4%
Vitamin A 104.9% Vitamin C 8.1%
Calcium 4.3% Iron 4.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to 375F.
2) In large bowl, let egg whites warm to room temperature—about 1 hour.
3) Using electric mixer at high speed, beat egg whites with salt just until soft peaks form when beater is slowly raised.
4) Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form when beater is slowly raised.
5) In another large bowl, using same beater, combine sweet potatoes, 1/4 cup sugar, the cinnamon, mace, and orange peel.
6) Beat at high speed until mixture is smooth, 2 minutes.
7) Meanwhile, in small saucepan, heat cream to boiling.
8) Slowly add to sweet-potato mixture, beating until combined.
9) Using wire whisk or rubber scraper, using an under-and-over motion, fold sweet-potato mixture into egg whites just until combined.
10) Gently turn into a 1-1/2-quart, straight-sided souffle' dish.
11) Bake 45 minutes, or until puffy and golden-brown.
12) Serve at once, with butter, if desired.