- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Korean Food: Sweet Rice Drink, SikHye (식혜) Recipe Video
|Malted barley powder||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||10 Cup (160 tbs)|
|Short grain rice/Cooked rice||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (If using cooked rice, use 2 cups of it.)|
|White sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
Calories 231 Calories from Fat 5
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.63 g0.96%
Saturated Fat 0.14 g0.68%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 3.4 mg0.1%
Total Carbohydrates 53 g17.8%
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g10.1%
Sugars 19 g
Protein 4 g8%
Vitamin A 0.1% Vitamin C 0.3%
Calcium 1.2% Iron 11.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Soak 2 cups of malted barley powder in 6 cups of cold water for about an hour. After an hour the barley powder would be softer. Using your hands rub the powder well inside the water so that the water turns milky.
2. Strain the barley water mixture and set aside the water.
3. Add 4 cups of water to the drained barley powder. Rub and squeeze it again for several minutes. Strain the milky water and combine the drained water with the first.
4. Let the barley water sit for 6 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
5. An hour before starting with the barley mixture cook the short grain rice with less water so that the rice is slightly dry. Once the rice is cooked take the barley water form the refrigerator. The powder would have sunk to the bottom of the bowl and the clear water will be on top.
6. Pour the clear water from the barley water mixture into your rice cooker (making sure not to disturb the settled powder at the bottom of the bowl). Fill your rice cooker almost to the top with the water. Any left over barley water can be stored in a separate container and saved for later. Discard the powder settled at the bottom of the bowl.
7. Add the 2 cups of cooked rice into the rice cooker and mix well.
8. Set the rice cooker function to "keep warm" for 3 hours. After 3 hours the rice will start to float. When about 20 rice grains float it means it is done.
9. Remove about 1 cup of rice from the cooker and put it into a bowl with cold water and store it in the refrigerator. (This rice will be used for decorating the drink later).
10. Pour the barley water and rice from the rice cooker into a large pot along with barley water you saved earlier. Cook it on medium high heat. Once it starts boiling add sugar. Occasionally remove the foam from the surface of the drink. Cook it for 15 minutes on medium high heat and then turn off the heat.
11. Cool the drink before serving.
12. When you serve the drink, pour it into a bowl or a cup and add some of the rice saved in the refrigerator. This rice will float on top of the drink and be sure to serve this drink cold as it is best served chilled.