- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sweet Potato Pear Soup Recipe
|Canola oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Small, chopped to make 1/4 cup|
|Celery stalk||1 Medium, chopped to make 1/2 cup|
|Apple juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dried thyme leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sweet potatoes||1 1⁄2 Pound, peeled, diced to make4 1/2 cups (3 Medium Size, Dark Orange Variety)|
|Pear||1 Medium, peeled, diced to make 1 cup|
|Canned reduced sodium chicken broth||28 Ounce (2 Cans, 14 Ounce Each)|
|Chopped fresh thyme||1 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 964 Calories from Fat 136
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g17.7%
Saturated Fat 1.1 g5.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1890.7 mg78.8%
Total Carbohydrates 200 g66.6%
Dietary Fiber 32.6 g130.5%
Sugars 66.7 g
Protein 18 g35.8%
Vitamin A 1977.3% Vitamin C 102%
Calcium 37.7% Iron 63.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
2. Add the onion and the onion and celery to the oil. Cook the vegetables for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
3. Add all the remaining ingredients except fresh thyme.
4. Heat to boiling point and then reduce the heat.
5. Cover the dish and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until the sweet potato is tender.
6. Set aside to cool.
7. In a blender or food processor, puree half the soup at medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth
8. Return the blended soup to the saucepan and then puree the remaining soup.
9. Just before serving, heat blended soup for 1 to 2 minutes or until hot.
10. Garnish with fresh thyme.