- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sweet Potato Hazelnut Pound Cake Recipe
|Sweet potato||1 Large|
|All purpose flour||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Unsalted butter||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), softened|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Hazelnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), toasted, skins rubbed off, chopped|
|Sweetened whipped cream||2 Tablespoon (If Desired)|
Calories 683 Calories from Fat 293
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 34 g51.8%
Saturated Fat 16.3 g81.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 169 mg
Sodium 249.9 mg10.4%
Total Carbohydrates 88 g29.2%
Dietary Fiber 3.2 g12.6%
Sugars 53.1 g
Protein 10 g20.5%
Vitamin A 88% Vitamin C 2.3%
Calcium 8.9% Iron 16.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. To make the sweet potato puree for the cake, roast the potatoes in an oven at 350°F for 50 to 60 minutes until soft.
2. When tender, peel the potatoes and place them in a strainer set over a bowl.
3. Allow the potatoes to drain overnight.
4. Mash the potatoes with a fork to make 1 cup of puree.
5. Great a 10-inch cake tin with oil or butter and line with a piece of butter paper to help unmoulding.
6. Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
7. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and spices.
8. Use an electric beater cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the 1 eggs, one at a time and beat until thoroughly blended.
9. Stir in the vanilla.
10. Using a spatula, gently fold in the dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk and water, stirring in figure 8 movements.
11. Fold in the sweet potato puree and hazelnuts until well blended into the batter.
12. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
13. Place the tin on the middle level of the preheated oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the cake is springy to touch and a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
14. Remove the tin from the oven and allow the cake in to cool in the pan for 15 minutes before unmolding and cooling completely on a wire rack.
15. Serve the cake for tea or as a dessert with ice cream or custard.
16. Store in an air tight container in a cool dry place.