- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
|Ground pork||2 Pound|
|Onion||1 Small, chopped to make 1/4 cup|
|Poultry seasoning||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Dry bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Frozen candied sweet potatoes||24 Ounce (2 Packages, 12 Ounce Each)|
|Aromatic bitters||1 Tablespoon|
|Canned pineapple chunks in juice||20 Ounce (1 Can, 1 Pound 4 Ounces)|
Calories 550 Calories from Fat 286
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g49.1%
Saturated Fat 11 g54.8%
Trans Fat 0.8 g
Cholesterol 134.5 mg
Sodium 615.4 mg25.6%
Total Carbohydrates 42 g14.1%
Dietary Fiber 2.2 g9%
Sugars 28.8 g
Protein 22 g43.9%
Vitamin A 1.7% Vitamin C 6.9%
Calcium 4.7% Iron 8.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large bowl, combine first 7 ingredients and mix thoroughly using a spoon or with your hand.
2. Shape the mixture into 1-inch balls, about 1 rounded tablespoon each.
3. Preheat the oven to 400°F
4. In a large skillet, heat the oil.
5. Add the meatballs to hot oil and sauté them until evenly browned.
6. Reduce the heat and cook the meatballs for 30 minutes, stirring frequently until cooked through.
7. Take pan off the heat.
8. In a large shallow baking dish or casserole dish, arrange frozen sweet potatoes.
9. Combine bitters and pineapple with juice and pour over sweet potatoes.
10. Layer meatballs on top
11. Just before serving time, bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes until potatoes are tender.
12. Serve the meatballs and sweet potatoes hot, straight from the baking dish.