- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Southern Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe Video
|Sweet potato||3 Medium (about 3 cups of mashed sweet potatoes)|
|Half and half||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|White sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1/4 - 1/2 cup as needed)|
|Light brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1/4 - 1/2 cup as needed)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon (1 - 2 tsp as needed)|
|Cinnamon||2 Teaspoon (1 - 2 tsp)|
|Ground cloves||1 Pinch|
|Ground ginger||1 Pinch|
|Ground nutmeg||1 Pinch (Optional)|
|Melted butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon (1 - 2 tbsp as needed)|
|Eggs||2 Medium, beaten|
|For the topping|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped pecans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Light brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs), packed|
|Cinnamon powder||2 Dash|
|Melted butter||5 Tablespoon|
Calories 583 Calories from Fat 276
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g49%
Saturated Fat 14.1 g70.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 101.3 mg
Sodium 55.7 mg2.3%
Total Carbohydrates 74 g24.7%
Dietary Fiber 4.1 g16.5%
Sugars 53.2 g
Protein 5 g11%
Vitamin A 173.4% Vitamin C 2.9%
Calcium 7% Iron 8.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Baking sheet
2. Potato masher
3. Electric mixer, if needed
4. Baking pan (9 x 9 inch pan used)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
2. Poke a few holes in the sweet potatoes with a fork. Bake for 1 hour or until fork-tender.
3. Remove from the oven and let cool.
4. Bring down the temperature of the oven to 350 F.
5. Slice the sweet potatoes and spoon the tender insides into a large bowl.
6. Use a potato masher to break up the bigger pieces of tender potato.
7. Add half and half, mix well until fluffy and creamy.
8. Add white sugar, light brown sugar, vanilla extract, some cinnamon, some ground cloves, ginger and nutmeg.
9. Add in the melted butter and stir to combine everything well. Use the mixer if needed.
10. Give the mix a taste at this point and adjust sugar, vanilla and spices as needed.
11. Add some flour to thicken. Mix well.
12. Add the beaten eggs, stir well to combine.
13. Spoon the mixture evenly into a 9 X 9 inch baking pan. Set aside.
To prepare the topping:
14. In a bowl, add the ingredients for the topping. Stir until crumbly.
15. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the sweet potato mixture.
16. Bake in the preheated oven at 350 F for 30 minutes.
17. Serve as a dessert or a snack.
If you prefer a more caramelized crust try baking in a smaller pan or adding more butter.