- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sweet Potato Bread Recipe
|Unbleached white flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon (1 Package)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Mashed cooked sweet potato||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Wheat germ||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1998 Calories from Fat 260
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g46%
Saturated Fat 5.9 g29.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 11.3 mg
Sodium 2108.4 mg87.9%
Total Carbohydrates 380 g126.5%
Dietary Fiber 48 g192.1%
Sugars 7.1 g
Protein 73 g146.4%
Vitamin A 2.7% Vitamin C 73.9%
Calcium 24.7% Iron 110.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Heat the milk, water, and sweet potato until very warm.
3. Add to the dry ingredients and beat with electric mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes.
4. Stir in the oil and wheat germ, then add enough whole wheat flour to make a firm dough.
5. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, or until smooth and satiny.
6. Put in an oiled bowl, turning to oil the top. Cover with plastic wrap, allowing the wrap to touch the dough.
7. Let rise in warm place for 45 minutes, or until doubled.
8. Punch the dough down, then shape into a loaf and put in an oiled 8- by 4- by 2-inch loaf pan.
9. Let rise for 30 minutes, or until light.
10. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
11. Bake the bread for 35 minutes, or until done. Turn out and cool on a wire rack.