- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sweet Corn Chowder Recipe
|Bacon salt||2 Ounce, coarsely chopped (Soup Pasta - 1 Cup)|
|Reduced sodium bacon/Lean salt pork||2 Ounce, coarsely chopped|
|Onions||2 Large, diced|
|Carrots||2 Large, diced|
|Celery stalks||2 , diced|
|Potatoes||12 Ounce, peeled|
|All purpose potatoes||12 Ounce, peeled and diced|
|Chicken stock||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Corn kernels||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Fresh Or Frozen)|
|1% low fat milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|1 % milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cayenne pepper||To Taste|
Calories 473 Calories from Fat 92
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g15.7%
Saturated Fat 3 g14.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 17.4 mg
Sodium 558.1 mg23.3%
Total Carbohydrates 78 g25.9%
Dietary Fiber 15.5 g61.8%
Sugars 14.7 g
Protein 20 g39.1%
Vitamin A 147% Vitamin C 44.8%
Calcium 15.3% Iron 10.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. ln a saucepan, add the chopped bacon or pork.
2. Cook over moderate heat for about 4 minutes, until the meat is crisp and the fat comes out.
3. With a slotted spoon, remove the bacon from the pan and keep aside for garnish. (In case of salt pork, discard.)
4. In the same pan with the fat, add the onions, carrots, and celery.
5. Saute the vegetables for about 5 minutes, until softened.
6. Add the potatoes with the chicken stock and bring the mixture to a boil.
7. Reduce the heat and simmer the soup, partially covered for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Now add the corn kernels and return the soup to a boil.
9. Simmer the soup, now uncovered, for about 5 minutes longer.
10. Remove the pan from the heat.
11. With a slotted spoon, take about 2 1/2 cups of the vegetables out and transfer them to a blender or food processor. Make a smooth puree.
12. Add the puree and milk to the saucepan. Return the pan to low heat and simmer for about 3 minutes.
13. Finally, season the soup with salt, pepper, and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
14. Garnish the soup with the bacon and serve.