- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sweet and Pungent Pork Recipe
|Cooked pork||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs), cut into 3/4-inch cubes|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Egg||1 , slightly beaten|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For frying)|
|Cornstarch||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Green pepper||1 Large, halved, seeded, cut into strips|
|Carrots||3 , pared, thinly sliced|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Light brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (firmly packed)|
|Instant chicken broth||1 Teaspoon|
|Pineapple tidbits||1 Can (10 oz)|
Calories 1122 Calories from Fat 828
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 93 g143.7%
Saturated Fat 15.5 g77.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 108.9 mg
Sodium 838.1 mg34.9%
Total Carbohydrates 46 g15.2%
Dietary Fiber 2.8 g11.3%
Sugars 22.4 g
Protein 28 g56.3%
Vitamin A 105.2% Vitamin C 60%
Calcium 3.3% Iron 3.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a medium bowl, add pork and soy sauce. Mix well and let rest for 30 minutes at room temperature. Add in the egg and mix thoroughly.
2) In a skillet, pour oil to a 1-inch depth. The temperature must read 375°F.
3) In a plastic bag, add 1/2 cup cornstarch and pork cubes. Shake the bag well to coat the meat well.
4) Into the skillet, add in the pork, a third at a time. Saute for 3 minutes or until it turns golden brown and crisp. With a slotted spoon, drain the pork onto a paper towel. Keep warm.
5) In a skillet, heat oil. Saute the onions, green pepper and carrots for 2 to 3 minutes or until the vegetables become crispy and tender.
6) In 2 tablespoons of water, mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Add in the remaining water, vinegar, sugar and chicken broth into the skillet. Let it come to boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add in the pinepapple tidbits along with the cornstarch mixture. When it boils, cover and cook for a 1 minute.
7) Add in the sweet and pungent sauce with the pork when just ready to serve.
8) Serve alongside steamed rice and soy sauce.